Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

kamztrad posted:

Hi there, just got my standard C5 up and running again but the LED's on the left hand side of the pod are flashing (apart from the 2 end one's) - C5 runs and drives ok - is this likely to be a case of the LM358 op amp knackered - have tried a spare pod and same result - if this is the case is it just a case of getting a LM358 and replacing the old one in the control box?
Cheers
kamztrad
posted on: 20/02/2014 11:24:51

Dan posted:

Hi kamztrad,

Yep I'd say the LM358 chip is a good start.  You could also check for dry solder joints on the connectors for the Red cable in the control box, I've had problems before with the cable connectors.  If you want, I've got a spare LM358 you can have if you cover the postage? I'll include an 8 pin socket too so you can swap the chip out if you have any further problems with it in the future.

You can also improve the reliability of the LM358 by changing the power to it from 12V to 5V like I explain here, though it does involve cutting a PCB trace, but if you're replacing the chip anyway its a good thing to do:

http://www.c5owners.com/sinclair-c5-forum/topic/88/control-box-lm358-power-modification
posted on: 20/02/2014 18:34:16

kamztrad posted:

Hi Dan, that's really good of you, I'll take you up on your kind offer if that's ok, do you want me to PM you my details and e-mail so you can PayPal me for postage, or have you still got my details - I will definitely do the 5v PCB mod while I'm at it - once again many thanks, in your debt as usual !!
kamztrad
posted on: 20/02/2014 18:43:48

kamztrad posted:

Just a big thanks to Dan for kindly supplying me with a LM359 and socket, once again you have saved me, many thanks mate and am in your debt as ever and as usual!!
Will get it fitted in next day or two and let you know if all is well,

Cheers

kamztrad
posted on: 26/02/2014 07:27:43

Dan posted:

Hi kamztrad,

That's great you'll have to let us know if changing the chip has any effect.
posted on: 27/02/2014 19:05:04

kamztrad posted:

Big thanks to Dan as replacing the LM358 he kindly supplied to me has sorted my c5 flashing LED problems. I carried out the 5V power supply mod for the LM358 as he suggested, soldered in the socket from Dan and fitted in the new chip and all is well (no flashing LED's anymore).

I also carried out the POD mod to guard against transients. Have to say this is probably the first time my standard c5 POD has ever worked properly - once again am in your debt Dan, owe you a big drink when I see you !!

Have posted a pic of my two c5s in the sun. The c5 season is surely now upon us !!??
kamztrad

posted on: 09/03/2014 15:28:58

Area51 posted:

They look nice and white Kamztrad
posted on: 09/03/2014 17:23:01

kamztrad posted:

Yeah, cheers mate, just a quick rub with a bit of Cif does wonders and they look even whiter in the sun!!

kamztrad
posted on: 09/03/2014 17:43:57

Dan posted:

Hi kamztrad,

Glad to see changing the chip fixed the problem Your C5's are very clean, I must do mine in time for summer
posted on: 15/03/2014 13:22:25