Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

Hello BETA testers,

As you may have noticed I've created a few C5 items in plastic these past few weeks.  All of the ones I've done so far can be seen on the Repro page.

The aim of BETA testing is for me to gather feedback on how useful/reliable these items are by giving out samples to forum members, you testing the item and then letting me know how it went.

As I only have a few of these available and some of the items take a long time to print, to make it fair to the people who contribute most to the forum/website I will distribute them based on how many Medals you've got.

For this you can request any item on the Repro page, this is how many Medals it will "cost" you:

Handlebar Switch Bracket (1 medal)
Light Switch Bracket (1 medal)
Chain Tensioner Chassis Clip (1 medal)
Pod Caps/Holder (1 medal)
Hi Viz Mast Caps (x2) (1 medal)
Rear Wheel Centre Cap (x1) (2 medals)
Motor Cooling Fan Connector (2 medals)
X-POD Case (4 medals)

So for an X-POD case and Hi Viz Mast Caps you will need 5 medals.  Simple!

If you would like to take part, let me know here what you want to test and email me your address and I will get them sent out to you.

When you receive them, please try them out and feedback here your experiences (hopefully all good)

If I run out of the item you're after I will let you know and you can choose another.

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 21/09/2013 13:00:14

dave posted:

Put me down for anything
posted on: 21/09/2013 14:55:28

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Is there anything I can test will my 1 medal
Regards
Mick
posted on: 22/09/2013 06:22:57

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1144]Hi Dan
Is there anything I can test will my 1 medal
Regards
Mick[/quote]

Hi there Mick,

With one medal you can have one of the following:

Handlebar Switch Bracket
Light Switch Bracket
Chain Tensioner Chassis Clip
Pod Caps/Holder
Hi Viz Mast Caps (x2)

I only restrict use of these as I do not have many printed out yet (and some of the larger items take a while to print) and think that people who have contributed to the website the most should get priority.

Contributing to the website content and earning medals is as simple as submitting a picture to the gallery, submitting C5 serial numbers to the directory, plus a host of other ways as detailed here.  I want to make this website the biggest and best for C5 content which is why the medal system exists

Alternatively these items will be available in the not too distant future when they've been tested.
posted on: 22/09/2013 06:44:23

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Do I qualify for another medal now as I have now listed the serial numbers of the C5's I have at present. I would like to try the hi viz mast caps out and possibly the rear wheel centre caps but can't see them listed now.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 22/09/2013 07:39:01

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1147]Hi Dan
Do I qualify for another medal now as I have now listed the serial numbers of the C5's I have at present. I would like to try the hi viz mast caps out and possibly the rear wheel centre caps but can't see them listed now.
Regards
Mick[/quote]

Yup, you can have the rear wheel caps which should be in the list above.  Though I did change the design recently and they no longer have the C5 letters on them, they are just flat, have a look at the pictures here.  Let me know if you still want them.

So I will send you out some wheel centre caps and hi viz mast caps early next week.

Thanks for sending in your serial numbers, and contributing to the website Adding the medals to your profile is a manual task that I do at the end of each day, so it's not instant.

You have a lot of C5's, where do you keep them all
posted on: 22/09/2013 07:55:48

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Email your PayPal account again please,
I keep them in the garage at home with my 3 Zikes,
Sadly the wife can't get her car in there anymore, but it's not a classic yet, lol
She tells me some of them will have to go , I tell her they are projects and as soon as any are complete then I will sell,. Each one has its own list of things that need doing and each one will have a job that never gets done. My lad is in stitches every time the conversation comes up and he says we are working down the list, soon mum soon.
I have one major project on and that's Purple Haze, sadly repainted by a previous owner. May have it sand blasted to see how it comes up.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 22/09/2013 08:21:55

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1149]I keep them in the garage at home with my 3 Zikes,[/quote]

Zikes as well Got any sinclair computers, or is it just the vehicles you like

[quote=C5mick;1149]
Sadly the wife can't get her car in there anymore, but it's not a classic yet, lol
She tells me some of them will have to go , I tell her they are projects and as soon as any are complete then I will sell,. Each one has its own list of things that need doing and each one will have a job that never gets done. My lad is in stitches every time the conversation comes up and he says we are working down the list, soon mum soon.[/quote]

Aye I know the feeling, garages were meant to stash C5's not cars I keep telling her

Will PM the paypal address soon when I've worked out the postage, I may have to send it with the (slow) courier myhermes as the wheel caps are a bit too big I think for normal post to be cheaper Will check...
posted on: 22/09/2013 09:34:59

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Now the medals are coming thick and fast, if I haven't missed the post would it be possible to test the gearbox fan mount.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 23/09/2013 22:31:05

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1172]Hi Dan
Now the medals are coming thick and fast, if I haven't missed the post would it be possible to test the gearbox fan mount.
Regards
Mick
[/quote]

Hi Mick,

Sorry yeah I posted it yesterday, but I need to print more out anyway.  I'll get some done later in the week and send one to you.

Thanks for your contributions
posted on: 24/09/2013 17:21:16

Dan posted:

Whilst I'm on the subject of the fan connector, thought I would emphasise it is only for use with 80/90mm fans and is not intended to work with the normal temp sensor attached to the motor.  It's mainly for touchscreen setups that dont have this temp sensor or anyone running the motor straight from a relay.

I'll get the connector redesigned to take larger 120mm fans and maybe also allow the motor temp sensor to remain in place. Let me know what you think.
posted on: 25/09/2013 16:58:45

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi dan I do have a 120mm fan if you want for the printer ...Chas
posted on: 25/09/2013 18:24:52

dadandjames posted:

These method of producing spares looks great. Might have a look into getting one for work. How reliable is your 3d printer. Does it produce many duds? Without giving too much away how expensive is the plastic ink. How many of those fan holders for example would you make out of a reel?
posted on: 25/09/2013 18:41:26

Dan posted:

[quote=SINCLAIR C5 CHAS;1179]Hi dan I do have a 120mm fan if you want for the printer ...Chas [/quote]

Hi Chas,

That's okay I've got a (weak) 120mm fan from something else that I can use until my new, more powerful one turns up. I'll post a picture of the new design later on to get some feedback.
posted on: 25/09/2013 19:29:04

Dan posted:

[quote=dadandjames;1180]These method of producing spares looks great. Might have a look into getting one for work. How reliable is your 3d printer. Does it produce many duds? Without giving too much away how expensive is the plastic ink. How many of those fan holders for example would you make out of a reel? Blink [/quote]

The printer, if maintained correctly is very reliable.  The main thing that you need to keep an eye on is the build platform as if its out on any part of it the plastic doesn't stick properly.  However ensuring its all calibrated correctly is a doddle, the software for calibrating it is really easy to use.

The Plastic, I think is good value, it costs about £25 (inc P&P) for a 1KG reel (I dont have an issue with people knowing this), see this ebay link for where I get mine from.  When designing the models you can specify how much plastic is used to fill your printout, so even large (solid) objects use the plastic efficiently, and they are very strong.  I use painters tape when I print out objects, to help remove the objects as they stick very strongly to the build plate without it, so that is an extra cost

Given the fan connector weighs about 20g, which means out of a 1kg reel I'd say you could make 50 fan connectors.  I'm redesigning the connector for larger fans so the individual weight will go up to I'd say 35g per connector.
posted on: 25/09/2013 19:44:04

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Thanks for the hi viz mast caps, rear wheel centre caps and chain tensioner clips.
With the rear wheels centre caps I am looking for some reflective tape that is used on the side stripes, it has to be 120mm wide as the caps are 120mm diameter. I am going to have a reflective centre cap.

The chain tensioner clip is fitted and had a short test, it will be further tested this afternoon after football.

The Hi Viz mast cap, I have tried to rub these smooth but the first one fell in holes, should these be solid ?

Regards
Mick
posted on: 29/09/2013 09:16:34

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there regarding the tape I do have some at 4.25ins x 4.25ins .regarding the size but my original center caps are about 4.0ins dia And I can supply loads ..of this size Chas
posted on: 29/09/2013 11:49:00

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1213]
The Hi Viz mast cap, I have tried to rub these smooth but the first one fell in holes, should these be solid ?[/quote]

Hi Mick,

Glad you got them.  Regarding the mast caps, or anything 3D printed, you specify when you print them out how "filled" they are, so for printing speed and plastic usage, I use a 10% fill when printing out which is normally plenty strong enough but like you've found are actually quite hollow

I can, for these caps increase it to 100% which will enable you to sand them and do any other post processing with them.

I will see how these come out later on at 100% fill.
posted on: 29/09/2013 12:17:27

C5mick posted:

Hi Chas
You are correct 4" or now I have been converted to metric 101.60mm.
Where this 120mm came from I am not sure, I will email you about your 4.25" square pieces later as I need a few more bit from you.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 29/09/2013 12:18:49

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Ok great thanks Chas
posted on: 29/09/2013 12:26:31

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
I live and learn, Renishaw are developing a similar thing for metal spraying parts in metal.
We machine parts in 3d for racing teams to test in wind tunnels, these take an age to machine from solid. Printing may reduce roughing out times I am thinking.
Anyway I am doing all I can to qualify for my next medal, what stick I am getting from my son, Buckingham palace soon dad. Can't stand cheeky kids, lol
If you do any 100% Dan then let me know.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 29/09/2013 12:27:58

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1218]Hi Dan
I live and learn, Renishaw are developing a similar thing for metal spraying parts in metal.
We machine parts in 3d for racing teams to test in wind tunnels, these take an age to machine from solid. Printing may reduce roughing out times I am thinking.[/quote]

Interesting stuff you do there, with your knowledge you could convert one of your C5s to 48V

[quote=C5mick;1218]Anyway I am doing all I can to qualify for my next medal, what stick I am getting from my son, Buckingham palace soon dad. [/quote]

You're in the running for a beta testing medal
posted on: 29/09/2013 14:15:24

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
The printed chain tensioner mounting clip held up under a fair bit of pedalling this evening. Chain tensioner still in place.

Although I work for a precision component manufacturer we don't do under the table jobs,everything is above board. We don't do any gear cutting either, but I will have a word with Chas on the QT and see if I have any contacts that may be of use to him that could do small batch R&D.

I am looking to put one of my C5's on 24volt but wouldn't know where to start,
48volts Dan, them days are over. I live a more sedate life now, lol.
Keep up the good work
Regards
Mick
posted on: 29/09/2013 22:21:42

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1227]Hi Dan
The printed chain tensioner mounting clip held up under a fair bit of pedalling this evening. Chain tensioner still in place.[/quote]

Good stuff, I've got one on mine and seems to work okay.

[quote=C5mick;1227]I am looking to put one of my C5's on 24volt but wouldn't know where to start,
48volts Dan, them days are over. I live a more sedate life now, lol.
Keep up the good work
Regards
Mick[/quote]

The c5 is probably quite unstable with 48v anyway.  Will be sending you some solid ones later today.  They're a tighter fit, the others were perhaps a little loose.  They're printed at 100% fill, but even then I could see it had tiny holes in the fill pattern as it was printing, changed another option called "shells" which makes it a bit more solid on the outside.  Will have to keep testing but these I think should be good enough for now.
posted on: 30/09/2013 13:00:42

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi Mick items posted .....Thanks Chas
posted on: 30/09/2013 13:22:58

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Not sure what the purists would say, but it's an alternative.
Regards
Mick

Added the reflective finish off Chas, think they look ok
posted on: 01/10/2013 19:53:53

dave posted:

postie just banged on the door with abox printed parts yeh they are good just fitted the centrecaps with c5 on look fab bit bright lol motor fan holder love the colour now the x-pod case fab even the boss likes it ? Trouble I av now what board to use 12/24 ?
posted on: 05/10/2013 08:41:14

Dan posted:

[quote=dave;1272]BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin postie just banged on the door with abox printed parts yeh they are good just fitted the centrecaps with c5 on look fab bit bright lol motor fan holder love the colour now the x-pod case fab even the boss likes it ? Trouble I av now what board to use 12/24 ? BigGrin
[/quote]

Yeah the centre caps need painting, if you find a suitable colour let me know.  Did you like the Red fan holder? I forgot to change the reel of plastic when I started, be glad it wasn't the glow in the dark green reel.

Use your 24v board with the xpod box, you not got that setup yet?  If you need the firmware putting on the screen arduino stick it in the post to us next week or skype me and I'll show you how to do it.
posted on: 05/10/2013 11:43:45

dave posted:

Like the colour of the fan holder hold a light to it could use them for indicators lol I think just the screen that needs firmware on ?
posted on: 05/10/2013 11:52:17

dave posted:

Hey mate put the top hats on nice think I'll glue them on don't want to lose them at 30 now then took the screen off the touch to put in the xpod case and what can I say its FANTASTIC FAB BRILL looks really cool I love it
posted on: 06/10/2013 15:22:46

Dan posted:

[quote=dave;1295]Hey mate put the top hats on nice think I'll glue them on don't want to lose them at 30 now then took the screen off the touch to put in the xpod case and what can I say its FANTASTIC FAB BRILL looks really cool I love it[/quote]

Hey Dave,

Glad you like the case You can glue them.  I've since made some more of the caps that are a little tighter which may help
posted on: 06/10/2013 23:00:04

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Have a peek at the centre cap you printed out I have posted a photo above.. I have added the reflective film from Chas and I don't think they will look out of place when fitted to my C5.
I have had an accident with one of the centre caps and snapped one of the legs off one of them. I will have to talk nicely to you for another one once you go in production.
Regards
Mick
posted on: 08/10/2013 21:20:30

rekooh99 posted:

Great idea putting the reflective stickers on looks brilliant.
posted on: 09/10/2013 06:59:01

Dan posted:

[quote=C5mick;1310]Hi Dan
Have a peek at the centre cap you printed out I have posted a photo above.. I have added the reflective film from Chas and I don't think they will look out of place when fitted to my C5.
I have had an accident with one of the centre caps and snapped one of the legs off one of them. I will have to talk nicely to you for another one once you go in production.
Regards
Mick[/quote]

Hi Mick,

they do look rather nice like that, sorts out the difference in colour

Yeah I can do another cap for you, wont be until Monday now.  It does need a bit of a push to snap them, did it snap putting the cap on or taking it off?
posted on: 09/10/2013 13:23:52

C5mick posted:

Hi Dan
Pushing it on, and I was ever so ever so careful, maybe it had a crack in it already from some ham fisted postie, lol
Regards
Mick
posted on: 09/10/2013 17:23:25

dave posted:

Wot about adding a clip to hold the diode in5404 in place?
posted on: 13/10/2013 11:01:14

adventuresinretro posted:

Hi Dan

Would love to test / buy the Motor Cooling Fan Connector - 80/90mm Extra Long item. Took our C5 for a spin at work around the car park and had to stop a couple of times as the POD was beeping - assume it was overheating as the battery was fully charged!

Cheers
Darren
posted on: 11/04/2014 12:34:47

Dan posted:

[quote=adventuresinretro;2919]Hi Dan

Would love to test / buy the Motor Cooling Fan Connector - 80/90mm Extra Long item. Took our C5 for a spin at work around the car park and had to stop a couple of times as the POD was beeping - assume it was overheating as the battery was fully charged!

Cheers
Darren[/quote]

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the website  I've got a long fan connector you can have if you cover the postage which is about £3.50 I think.

Regarding the POD beeping, if I recall it is either the motor over heating or more likely, excess stress on the motor.  Are you using the motor from the off, pedal up to speed a bit before using the motor?

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 11/04/2014 14:30:26

Hi Dan

That's brilliant thanks, Paypal work for you?

Pedal to get going yes then apply the power, keep pedaling a little is the way we are doing it.

I imagine it's overheating as when at rest, the beeping goes on for 5 mins or so, then goes off. Not a problem really - except it seems to come on at the height of all the fun :)

Regards
Darren
posted on: 11/04/2014 15:26:23

Dan posted:

Just sent you a PM Darren
posted on: 11/04/2014 18:12:09

Hi Dan

Thanks very much, receieved today! Will pop some photos on the site later today if I get chance. Grabbed some reflective tape at the weekend also, so will be fitting that later too!

One quick question - how is it best to wire the fan in to power - or is it better to have it on a different power source?

Thanks!
Regards
Darren
posted on: 15/04/2014 14:46:22

Dan posted:

Hi Darren,

No probs

Regarding where to take the power from, I would guess connecting it directly to the power terminals in the control box so the fan will be on all the time.  You could of course add a switch in there too.  I do not use a pod/CB on my C5's so that's the best I can say for your setup.
posted on: 15/04/2014 17:27:02

Hi Dan

All sorted, just got to install it all now.

Used an old UPS battery in the end, wired in to a switch to keep it all nice and separate. Will probably get another fan as the one I have is a bit noisy, but initially works well.

Will get a few pics of it tomorrow hopefully, busy weekend what with the Retro Gaming Event on Saturday so it may not be until Monday but will pop them on the site soon as I can.

Thanks again for all your help, and hope you and yours have a very happy Easter!

Regards
Darren
posted on: 17/04/2014 20:42:04

Dan posted:

That's great Darren, have a great Easter and enjoy the retro gaming event
posted on: 18/04/2014 14:42:46

andries.moss posted:

Hello Dan
I am interested in being part of your test program. My C5 is work in progress anyway. I now have the insert from Chas ( i have been in Poland for a week). So from next week I hope to be driving it every day to work (about 11 miles each way).

Andy
posted on: 20/05/2014 17:33:32

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Andy be carful when you take the gearbox outer case of the motor support as sometimes the fingers brake off . Also what part of Poland did you visit . Bye Chas \:d/
posted on: 20/05/2014 20:12:15

andries.moss posted:

Hi Chas
I have completly refurbished my motor today, so all shiny and new and greased. I have some pictures I will put them on here soon. My son is going to bed soon and I will put the motor back in.
I was in kozalin and mielno.
posted on: 21/05/2014 17:06:29

Dan posted:

[quote=andries.moss;3360]Hello Dan
I am interested in being part of your test program. My C5 is work in progress anyway. I now have the insert from Chas ( i have been in Poland for a week). So from next week I hope to be driving it every day to work (about 11 miles each way).

Andy[/quote]

Hi Andy,

Sorry to say but this testing program has finished and the printer is out of action for a while.  Feel free to suggest new c5 related items to recreate
posted on: 21/05/2014 17:31:58

dave posted:

Mirrors with indicators in them ?
posted on: 23/05/2014 11:05:58

rekooh99 posted:

If you want mirrors with indicators have a look on ebay in motorcycles and scooter section.
posted on: 23/05/2014 19:05:38

Jonatan posted:

Hi Dan,
Id be interested in the POD Clips, as I lost mine. If I cant pay with medals, how much do they cost? Thanks!

Jonatan\:d/
posted on: 12/06/2014 21:20:50

Dirk-Jan posted:

Is there any way to get the 3d models somewhere to print your own?
posted on: 03/09/2014 06:59:38

Dan posted:

[quote=Dirk-Jan;4036]Is there any way to get the 3d models somewhere to print your own?[/quote] Hi, Sorry no, the models are not available as "freeware". If you need anything specific printing drop me a PM
posted on: 03/09/2014 13:08:19

Dirk-Jan posted:

pm'ed you :) and i dont need a freeware model an branded c5owners.com one whould be a lot nicer!
posted on: 03/09/2014 14:12:20