Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

semach.the.monkey posted:

Hi guys, new C5 owner here!

After a quick spin in a C5 back in 1985 at Crystal Palace, I've always wanted a C5. Not sure why it's taken me so long to get one though, but I picked up my new toy yesterday.

It looks like it's going to be quite a project though, as there's so many bits missing! Probably quicker to tell you what I have got; body, chassis, front forks, steering tube, cranks. And that's it! No wheels, no axle, no motor, no electrics, no pod and certainly none of the fancy things like boot or wing mirrors!

So, the way I see it, I've got 2 choices; put up a big long 'wanted' list and grab everything that pops up on eBay, or come up with my own solution to turning a body shell and chassis in to a vehicle. I figured the latter might be easier, cheaper, more satisfying, and result possibly in something better than Sir Clive would have mass produced.

The goal for this summer is to get it rolling and riding as a pedal vehicle, then over the winter sort out a motor and electrics.

Some people might see the lack of parts a big disadvantage, but I look upon it as a blank canvas that I can turn in whatever I want. I've already seen improvements that others have made, such as disc brakes, Sturmey Archer gears and metal front wheel, which are all things that I'm looking at incorporating. However, are there other modifications that other people would make if they could design it from scratch?

Cheers guys

STM
posted on: 14/07/2013 18:05:42

dave posted:

There's an axle and brake on ebay at the moment they seem not to sell often ? As wheels you could message marra on here he might have some parts wheels etc for sale you in uk ?
posted on: 14/07/2013 18:19:19

Ah, thanks for the heads up. The brake must be newly listed as it wasn't there when I looked yesterday. Although if I'm honest, I kind of like the idea of getting a disc brake to fit :)

And, yes, I'm in the UK. Nottingham to be exact.

Cheers

STM
posted on: 14/07/2013 19:00:58

dave posted:

The best man you could go and see is chas
posted on: 14/07/2013 19:06:18

Dan posted:

Cool its very admirable to build your own take on the C5

I kinda did the same thing last year with my first C5 which didn't have any electrics, but yours looks much more challenging

I've got some wheels plus other bits lying around, if you need anything just give us a yell.

Chas will certainly be able to help, Marra too, his custom C5 stuff is awesome
posted on: 14/07/2013 19:42:36

Thanks for the friendly welcome guys :)

I'll be working out what I need to put on my shopping list shortly, so will be giving y'all a shout soon.

Cheers

STM
posted on: 15/07/2013 07:36:31

Dan posted:

Hi STM,

Here's the 3 wheels, like I said they're identical to the ones currently on ebay and I'll add in the bearings/nuts for the break wheel for you:

posted on: 23/07/2013 07:27:37