Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Andyc5 posted:

Hi All
I have a question... after blowing a porter 5 and a porter 10 at 24v
I then called Steve at 4QD to ask for help. It seems that electronic noise was the problem that blew the boards. He asked if I had a resistor between the plus and minus o the motor. I didn't so I am a bit silly.

But is this the resistor I need? It was on the motor before I changed everything
Many thanks
Andy Moss
posted on: 18/03/2015 10:56:47

Karl posted:

Hi Andy,

this is not a resistor but a thermal cutout switch. It's intended to trigger a cutout sequence when the motor overheats.

Are you sure he mentioned a resistor and not a diode?

P.S. Dan has a porter 10 for sale.
posted on: 18/03/2015 12:44:18

Andyc5 posted:

Thanks Karl.
I swear he said resistor. It is to stop power going back into the controller at high speed. That was the cause of the two controllers breaking.
The controllers have been repaired and are on there way back to me now.
So I need to make sure I don't have the same problem.
Andy
posted on: 18/03/2015 13:14:42

Karl posted:

Hi Andy,

I can't see the use of a resistor across the + and - of the motor other than to drain current, which is of course a negative factor.

In your situation I would call 4QD again, but this time write down which item you require, not only the item but also the designation.

Av phun.

Karl.
posted on: 18/03/2015 14:02:11

Ray1 posted:

Andyc5
Even better email them and get them to response so it is written down, therefore less errors. I find people consider their response more carefully if they are writing it.
Ray
posted on: 18/03/2015 16:03:40

Andyc5 posted:

Steve from 4qd is going to send me one out with my repaired boards. I shall see the what I get. But I googled electronic noise...and a capacitor or three is what I need to stop the noise. Thus not blowing up my controllers again.
posted on: 18/03/2015 16:32:12