Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Ray1 posted:

Hi1
An intermittent fault has developed. When pressing the motor button all that happens sometimes is there is a clicking noise, sounds to be coming from the relay. Believing it to be the relay I have replaced this but it is happening again. What next to check please?
posted on: 22/09/2014 13:33:49

Area51 posted:

Hi it is possable your brushes are sticking in the boxes or they are worn
pull the copper braid up few times on each brush and they should spring back and try
the switch again or connect the motor direct across the battery to see if the motor
works
posted on: 22/09/2014 16:31:59

Ray1 posted:

Thanks Area
The bushes pull out & spring back in easily so I guess the next thing will be to strip the motor & check the bushes for wear.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
posted on: 22/09/2014 17:16:01

Ray1 posted:

I have just noticed another thing on the occasions the motor does not run, as the motor button is pressed and the relay clicks the extreme left green LED on the left side of the POD lights up. It goes out when the button is released.
Does this give anybody any more clue as to what is wrong please?
posted on: 23/09/2014 12:45:42

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi ray the pod is letting you know that the power is going to the relay
Bye Chas
posted on: 24/09/2014 07:33:40

Ray1 posted:

Thanks Chas
Any other advice on what I should check please?
posted on: 24/09/2014 16:58:07

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi ray the first thing is to check that you have 12volts across the brushers when some one presses the start button
Let us know the results
Bye Chas
posted on: 24/09/2014 18:51:36

Ray1 posted:

Chas
Checked today, 11 to 12 volts across brushes copper braiding when pressed & motor running. Drops to 7.5 volts when pressed & motor stops.
Does that tell you anything?
Thanks.
posted on: 25/09/2014 14:57:55

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Ray it looks like you will have to take the motor apart ...
Let us know how you get on bye Chas
posted on: 26/09/2014 08:03:29

Ray1 posted:

Chas
Even connecting the motor direct to the battery it would not run some times so have proceeded to remove it and strip it down. Everything 'looked' in place and reasonably clean. There was plenty of meat left on the brushes but as the copper braid on one looks a bit iffy I have ordered a new pair. The armature looks ok so I don't think there should be anything else. Any other pointers please?
Thanks again.
posted on: 26/09/2014 15:01:13

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi ray where are you getting the. Brushes from
Chas
posted on: 26/09/2014 15:28:10

Ray1 posted:

Chas
Ordered them from eBay as per those in the forums Shop section. trust they are correct?
Ray
posted on: 26/09/2014 15:37:29

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi ray I have used them in the past and found that are not good enough as they are not designed for high amperage . But try them out and let me know how you get on with them
Bye Chas
posted on: 26/09/2014 15:41:54

Ray1 posted:

Chas
Think? you are saying they are NOT designed for high amperage and so NOT good enough. I will give them a try but are there alternatives?
Ray
posted on: 26/09/2014 16:12:47

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi Ray the best thing is try them and let us know maybe my motors where at fault
Regarding buying other brushes its very hard to get some at the right size and shape up to now I have not been able to get any if you do let us know . Bye Chas
posted on: 26/09/2014 16:27:58

Patrick M posted:

hey there,

a couple of days ago i purchased myself a working Sinclair C5. everything was working fine untill the same thing happened as above.. the relay clicked but the motor didn't turn. it gave the same indication on the POD ( extreme left led turned on ). after some multimeter testing i measured 12 volts at the relais and suddenly after doing so the relais doesn't even click anymore. after taking the controlbox apart it turned out that a few things were obviously broken. ( D1 was easy to spot and it turned out that C5 was blown aswell.) unfortunatly this did not do anything for the controlbox because it's still in the same unworking condition. after repairing i read about LM358 being a bit stubborn sometimes. could this be the secret fault?

the motor itself works fine as i tested that after reading this forum.

hopefully one of you wisemen could help me out

regards,

Patrick
posted on: 04/10/2014 13:27:43

Area51 posted:

Hi you have nothing to loose buy replacing the
Lm 358 chip as this is cheap to replace and may solve your problems
posted on: 04/10/2014 16:45:47

Dan posted:

Hi, Yep try replacing the LM358. You may want to replace the relay too, if D1 has been damaged, the relay will begin to arc.
posted on: 04/10/2014 17:54:19

Ray1 posted:

Chas
Brushes as advertised on the site received and fitted. They certainly look good, with fresh spade connectors on the motor wires.
The motor sounds good when everything refitted and the rear wheels raised off the ground. No intermittent running now, next will be to have granddaughter give it a trial run plus see if they last.
posted on: 05/10/2014 18:21:05

dave posted:

I've got them ray seem fine to me mate
posted on: 05/10/2014 19:51:41