Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Hertog posted:

Last weekend, they tried to steal my Anna (the name I gave to my C5) ... Luckily they failed.

But I now I am left with allot of damage to Anna :( , they damaged the the following;

- The engine
- The rear axis
- The wheels
- The drive belt
- Body to the damage

What I think happened. Normally I have a chainlock the through 1 of the rear wheels going around the rear axis and then through a bicycle rack. First they tried to loosen one the wheels, then found out that that wasn't an option because of the lock. Then they tried to power Anna with a different battery and apparently reversed the polarity (because I saw burned spots on the wires and inside the engine) and finally because that also failed, they kicked the living shit out of Anna because everything failed. In the process of kicking the shit out of Anna, they kicked the rear axis crooked and stretched out the drive belt.

First I have to get Anna back into ride able condition. The engine stills 'works' and luckily I have a replacement engine for it (but it needs allot of love and attention). But my main concern at the moment is the drive belt. There is way to much spacing between the engine and the wheel. So when the engine starts, the drive belt stays in the same position and the wheel doesn't move.

So if anybody know a place where I can cheaply get a replacement drive belt (preferably here in The Netherlands) or a way to shrink my current drive belt, please let me know.

But I will keep you posted on getting Anna back in to decent condition!
posted on: 12/08/2014 22:14:36

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi sorry to here that your C5 has been damaged ,but I'm sure it will soon be on the road again .
Bye Chas
PM sent
posted on: 13/08/2014 07:54:41

Dan posted:

Hi there, Sorry they did all that to your C5. For drive belts I buy them from here on UK Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321061905185
posted on: 13/08/2014 12:29:34

Hertog posted:

[quote=Dan;3963]Hi there, Sorry they did all that to your C5. For drive belts I buy them from here on UK Ebay: [url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321061905185]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321061905185[/url][/quote] Thanks for URL! :) An update, this morning I called my insurance guy to explain the situation and hope I collect some insurance money so it can compensate for the repair costs for Anna :( .. But at the moment that is uncertain because I just moved to my new apartment and my insurances aren't done with "transfering" ... Figures crossed for this!
posted on: 13/08/2014 15:25:27

andries.moss posted:

Hi hertog
Sorry to hear that mate.Where in nederlands are you. Just wondering because I am also over here and was suprised to hear that someone tried to steal it.
Andy
posted on: 14/08/2014 10:31:43

Hertog posted:

Hi hertog
Sorry to hear that mate.Where in nederlands are you. Just wondering because I am also over here and was suprised to hear that someone tried to steal it.
Andy

I live in Groningen and to be honest I am not surprised that some person at some point tried it steal it.

But the people who tried to steal it are quite idiots. Because my C5 was in a general bike shed (for all the people who live in this building) with a lock on the door and only the people who live here can open that door ;)

And besides this all, I could pick my own C5 out of a line of 20 C5's. I know every little detail about her. So if it were to show up at some website for sale, I would pick it out in no time!
posted on: 14/08/2014 11:29:16

andries.moss posted:

Ha ha I am just over the ijselmeer in Enkhuizen. I must say though. If i leave mine outside a shop(locked with a big chain) there is normally a few people looking at it. Once i came out of the coffeshop (not locked because there is a security guard) to find the security guard pushing a young child down the road in it.
Also have the politie said anything to you about it. Because i think it shojld be registered with the RDW and also insured. Because technicaly you can drive it without pedaling. Therefore you should need a kenteken plaat.
posted on: 14/08/2014 12:04:48