Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

thompson posted:

[size=6]Hi,

here is my unusual C5:

I got it from my late father who was a photographer. It is a bit of an oddity as it is made of fibreglass and there are many details that are different. I am trying to restore it as it has spent the last 30 years under an old blanket in the corner of a garage.
As far as I can tell it is some sort of pre-production model, but I am having a hard time trying to find any information about it. It has a sticker on the back marked no.4. I know my father photographed this C5 and another that had wing mirrors for the press release pictures and other leaflets.

The decals are paper:

The control box is different:

Can anyone help with the wiring as this looks wrong to me:

Cheers,
Thompson.
[/size]
posted on: 12/07/2014 15:09:02

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I have been restoring C5s for years so an help you want just ask
As far as I can see the body has been spayed white and the wiring is not the original and looks a mess do not try and connect it up as you may do more harm than good .
Bye Chas
posted on: 12/07/2014 15:21:31

thompson posted:

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
Yes you are right, the body is painted white, the inside is smooth and is painted with something like bumper paint (it is peeling off now)

The wiring is as it was delivered, nothing has been changed. It looks wrong as there are 4 wires that go up to the ignition switch and there are no battery connections.
It has a blue metal control box, everything inside looks brand new.

I am guessing that the green wire is negative, red positive, and the thin wires are for the lights.

Here is a photo of it when new:
posted on: 12/07/2014 15:36:04

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi I have a closer look at your C5 and the control box is an original but it has been modified .
But the best thing to do is take out the old wiring and start again by getting a new wiring harness and another control box/pod of eBay if you can ..it will be easer to to get it running again .But there is another way to get it running is to take out the wiring + control box / the pod and just use a cable with a relay and connect it to the motor and the push button on the handle bar ...It will work but there will be no lights ...
Anyway I never go out with the C5 when it's dark
If you need any help just ask
PS have you checked if the motor runs by connecting it directly to a battery .Before you try b make sure that the left side wheel is of the ground before trying it
Bye Chas
posted on: 14/07/2014 13:12:34

thompson posted:

Hi Chas,

thanks for the tips. funnily enough I never thought of trying the motor by directly wiring it up.
But as I said before, the wiring is how it was delivered by Sinclair for the photo shoot in 1984.
I know it was photographed in total secrecy, in fact it was delivered on a sunday afternoon to a 1st floor photographic studio! There was another C% with wing mirrors, though I think the owner of the studios had that.
If only my dad was still around as he would know more.
I have only ever pedalled it round the block when my dad brought it home, it was only after my drunken sister fell of it were we told never to touch it. I had spent the last 30 years asking to have it, in the end he gave in!
Cheers!
posted on: 14/07/2014 13:35:41

Dan posted:

Hi and welcome It looks like one of the prototypes that C5, there's a video of similar ones being raced around a test circuit in the Resources section.  Nice C5 though
posted on: 14/07/2014 16:45:02

thompson posted:

It's funny as not really knowing much about C5's, I thought it was just a normal one until I realized that they were not meant to be made of fibreglass. There are many different features on this C5, like the hubcaps are smooth and painted (it's flaking off).
Trying to find out the history of pre-production C5's is proving really hard. You would think that there would be someone who remembers that period of time.
posted on: 14/07/2014 18:16:08

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I maybe able to help you with some information about the c5 will get back to you soon ..
Also if it is a prototype then I would love to buy and restore it
Let me know bye Chas
posted on: 14/07/2014 21:28:10

thompson posted:

Thanks Chas! Apart from the preview/prototype video, there does not seem to be many pictures at the time. Maybe because it was all done in secret. I remember my dad telling me not to tell anyone about the pictures he was taking. He thought it was going to revolutionise transport and it was something really big (which it was).

I will let you know if I ever decide to sell it but for now I am going to have a go at getting it running. Then I might take the body off to give it a clean up. I'm not going to change anything, except maybe for some new tyres. Can you still get Sinclair brand tyres?

If I have time today I will take some better pictures so you can see the different features this C5 has. I am also going to check the chain and sprocket to see if it has any wear on it.

Cheers!
posted on: 15/07/2014 08:02:56

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Ok thanks please let me know if you decide to sell it and give me first chance of buying it thanks all the best [
lol]
Bye Chas
posted on: 15/07/2014 09:24:09

thompson posted:

here are some detail pictures that may show some of the differences. Feel free to tell me if anything is not as it should be.

Headlight:

Front wiring; note there is no chassis number and the crude way the body is cut.

pedals

hubcaps:

rear luggage box

chassis number: (!)

Motor:

Control Box:

Rear bodywork, no supports

posted on: 15/07/2014 19:54:31

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I have just made a list of what you will need to restore it (get it running again) if you want me to list the items just let me know
Bye Chas PS any chance of more photos of the underside B/Front also photos of the motor gearbox / drive cog
Bye Chas \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
posted on: 16/07/2014 09:37:44