Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

simon.carter.564 posted:

Just got my C5 up and running. Covered 8 miles today. It's ace, but a bit slow even with me peddling like mad

Please could someone point me in the direction of the 24v conversion

My first real run photo attached

posted on: 28/02/2014 17:48:47

Area51 posted:

nice pic i like the helmet
posted on: 28/02/2014 19:03:02

Dan posted:

LOL Nice pic  For 24V conversions the preferred method is to use the uni-8 controller by 4qd.  I have done this conversion here: http://www.c5owners.com/sinclair-c5-forum/topic/53/24v-conversion

Converting the C5 to 24V will mean you removing the control box/pod and replacing it with the uni-8, throttle, a cooling fan for your motor and a bunch of wiring to get it all working.  Ignore the touchscreen in that link, that's just so I can see whats going on with the C5 as the POD is gone you need something to measure the voltage etc.

One thing often overlooked when wanting a faster C5 is the battery type. Although more expensive, using a light weight LifePo4 battery makes a big difference to c5 performance and hill climbing.  I had a friend over last weekend to test a regular C5 with a 60Ah car battery (16KG) and then a 2.5KG 20Ah LifePo4 golf cart battery and he couldn't believe the difference in acceleration and a better speed. On top of the lighter weight it also keeps the C5 legal on the roads as you're not increasing the voltage Downside is the cost, but I thought it worth mentioning
posted on: 28/02/2014 19:33:52

simon.carter.564 posted:

Hi Dan. That other battery idea sounds very interesting. Though I have just bought a direct replacement battery I think I prefer the idea of changing the battery for a modern alternative instead of removing the pod etc. If possible Please could you tell me the exact battery I need. I work in the motor trade and get parts at cost

Thank you

With regard to the helmet, it is mint. It's got a built in retractable sun visor behind the clear visor.
posted on: 28/02/2014 19:45:43

Dan posted:

Hope you're sitting down, a 20Ah battery costs £190, this is the one I got of ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Max-12v-20Ah-LiFePO4-18-Hole-Lithium-Golf-Trolley-Battery-/120901844487?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item1c264fbe07

Ping battery in China will make any size lifepo4 battery for you at cheaper prices.
posted on: 01/03/2014 13:12:14

simon.carter.564 posted:

Oh! It's a lot lighter though too. I think I will invest in one. How many mikes does it last?
posted on: 02/03/2014 12:33:33

Dan posted:

[quote=simon.carter.564;2730]Oh! It's a lot lighter though too. I think I will invest in one. How many mikes does it last?[/quote]

When I was running on one of these it would do about 14 miles with a lot of motor use. Another plus side of these batteries is they can recharged about 2000 times if looked after properly, compared to about 400 times for a car battery.  And of course, the light weight means pedaling is a doddle
posted on: 02/03/2014 17:11:16