Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

This has been on and off since October last year.  The task sounds simple: Clone the C5 mirror brackets with a 3D printer.  Unlike some of the of the other things I've redone these are much more difficult for me due to the shape of them (and my CAD skills aren't that great either)

I did have a go at scanning them in with a 3D scanner but, alas they didn't turn out that great.  I've found that affordable 3D scanning technology is still some way off being useable for this sort of thing

Anyway, here are some pictures of where I'm up to (This is about the 20th iteration of the designs):

Although the basic shape is the same, they're not exactly the same as the originals.  One of the main things about the originals are the thin plastic prongs that always snap.  So instead of using them on these I've decided to just put holes through it and bolt them together, it should be much strong.

PS Thanks Chas for sending the flattened bracket, I think if I can get the above to work we wont need to bend them
posted on: 12/01/2014 09:45:50

dave posted:

Nice work dan do they fit ok ?
posted on: 12/01/2014 15:34:10

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Well done again Dan .Do you want me to send the inner one now that you have cracked the outer one...bye Chas \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
posted on: 12/01/2014 16:15:25

Dan posted:

[quote=SINCLAIR C5 CHAS;2351]Well done again Dan .Do you want me to send the inner one now that you have cracked the outer one...bye Chas BigGrin Laugh Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing [/quote]

Thanks Guys!

Don't worry about sending the inner one Chas, the top one is the inner one, that was quite a lot easier than the outside one (bottom pic)

Still got a way to go with them, making them fit better.  They're still quite rough and don't fit on properly, but were getting somewhere I think
posted on: 12/01/2014 18:16:47

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Great thanks . I will be needing about 10 sets but Ii will check and get back to you bye Chas
posted on: 12/01/2014 19:59:27

Dan posted:

And heres the first ones that fit well enough:

Now it's time to get them tested by you guys I'll post details for testing them in a moment
posted on: 17/01/2014 16:28:57

dave posted:

That's good Dan welldone mate just got some from Sweeeeden lol now you got the angle for the body and bracket could you design your own mirrors with leds in to get rid of the bulky land rover 1 plz
posted on: 17/01/2014 23:11:01