Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

Right then, just got back from a 15 mile spin testing out Chas's wonderful disc brake and can say it worked perfectly I did lots of slow/hard braking and a couple of emergency stops to boot and no problems

They're way better than the original drum brakes.  Will give it another test later in the week when I've sorted out the control box and repositioning the reed switch/magnet to accommodate the new brake.

Also under test was the battery in the boot I did a while ago but never got around to try properly.  This works great no probs with cornering.

The hi viz mast caps were there at the end and in their original positions, so happy with that.  Boot clips stayed in place
posted on: 03/11/2013 16:17:59

dave posted:

Hey mate how long did it take to fit ? So all you need is a front 1 ? Can you not make a magnet holder with 2 holes in and tie wrap it to the backwheel ?
posted on: 03/11/2013 16:48:47

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Dan that sounds great thanks .And thanks for putting it through some vigorous tests ....I would give you medal but sorry I cannot.
What's it like on the hand brake .....I find that if you stop on a hill and put the hand brake on it would tend to slip and move a little
That's on the Brake shoe ...not the caliper type

Please let me know how you get on later on in the week .
Bye Chas
posted on: 03/11/2013 19:27:23

Dan posted:

[quote=SINCLAIR C5 CHAS;1643]What's it like on the hand brake .....I find that if you stop on a hill and put the hand brake on it would tend to slip and move a little[/quote]

Hi Chas,

I used the hand brake a couple of times and it held the C5 still, though these weren't particually steep hills, I'll do a more thorough test of the hand brake when I'm next out on it later in the week
posted on: 04/11/2013 13:27:59

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Thanks Dan that's great .....Chas
posted on: 04/11/2013 15:54:27

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Dan just notised the exrta medals thanks that's great .....

Also thanks to all for putting me forward
posted on: 04/11/2013 15:58:07

dave posted:

Hi chas got the brake can I say its a work of art wish I was on earlys this week damm going to try this on the pod 24v well done mate
posted on: 05/11/2013 10:20:54

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi that's great no hurry .Did you check out the switch
Bye best of luck Chas
I am just getting started on a kit for the front wheel but early days yet
posted on: 05/11/2013 11:19:24

dave posted:

Thanks for the switch mate looks like I'm busy sat no shopping for me lol
posted on: 05/11/2013 12:16:36

dave posted:

here are some pictures of the kit fitted took from start to finish 40 mins could not find my pump Laugh BigGrin

posted on: 09/11/2013 09:00:52

dave posted:

the last picture is of the wheel spinning no rubbing of the pads running like a dream well done chas
posted on: 09/11/2013 09:11:33

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Great that looks better well done
Chas
posted on: 09/11/2013 11:48:55

AndrewC posted:

Fantastic!

As you all know, the original brake is fundamentally flawed in that that the pressed steel drum cannot have the right concentricity and tolerances. Therefore this makes it almost impossible to get working correctly and boy, have I tried!

Once I had twigged the reason why all car drum brakes are cast with machined steel liners I understood. However, it took ages for the penny to drop on that one!

Where do I get this kit from and what will it cost?

Yours as ever

Andrew
posted on: 17/11/2013 09:59:54

Dan posted:

Hi Andrew welcome to the website!

I'm sure Chas will have some ready soon. The kit is great and easy to fit, much better than the drum brake.
posted on: 17/11/2013 10:06:08

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Andrew the kit will be for sale next week and the price will be £65.00 + posting
And you will to send me your back wheel without tyre and inner tube
But if you have another spare rear wheel any side will do no problem
Bye Chas
posted on: 17/11/2013 10:27:45

AndrewC posted:

Chas

That is excellent news! Look forward to hearing when they are ready.

Yours as ever

Andrew
posted on: 17/11/2013 12:22:33

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi they will be ready next week bye Chas
posted on: 17/11/2013 12:27:19

Doc Holliday posted:

Hi There Chas,
after two Breakdowns because of the Drumbrake (daily use) in the last six month i´m very happy that you and Dan are so into the C5 . At the moment I can´t do anything on my C5 (had an Accident and maybe around X-mas I can start to fix it). But I can manage to get a friend to remove the Weel, so I can send it to you.
Do you just need the Weel or something else? I have two Avid BB5 here that I wanted to fit on the C5 (because of the spareparts avaiable here in Germany) but can´t do anything at the moment. Is it possible to use them? I have also Disk´s laying around: 1 x 160 mm (Avid), 1 x 180 mm (Formula) and 2 x 185 mm (Avid & Magura).
The next thing is "maybe" an idea for the front weel-solution that i found:
[img=http://www.steinerdesign.net/content/images/c1dc4e17d9d9ab5536c62d89c8f0215e.jpg]Adapter[/img]
It´s made for "high-end-fork´s" so maybe a solution without welding?
Anyway
Thank´s for all that intense work to keep the C6 alive

Doc Holliday
posted on: 17/11/2013 12:41:34

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi Doc regarding what I would want you to send would only an original back wheel any side will do and if you can take all the bits off
Also when it returned to you you will have to use your own wheel parts
The bearing cups + the cone nut and the nut and the large washer I will put in a set of bearings
Regarding the other wheels they will not fit the mod
Bye Chas
Ps posting to Germany could. be expensive
posted on: 17/11/2013 13:08:47

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Andrew I now have a back brake mod for sale if you are interested let me know ..Bye Chas
posted on: 23/11/2013 18:56:40