Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

kamztrad posted:

Hi there, just to introduce myself, I'm Keith, I bought a C5 about 3 mths ago, a nice standard working example - always wanted one since growing up with ZX81 and Spectrums in my teens. Have used it a few times on short journeys but found it a bit pedestrian and limited by the single speed pedals, so I went and bought a scruffier example about 6 wks ago.

Have decided to keep my nice c5 original, but I have been busy with my new toy. I fitted a 3 speed sturmey archer hub and have done a 24V conversion.

The 24V conversion does not use any original wiring or pod,I have built an aluminium dash panel on the centre console which also doubles as a support for the floppy front panel.

I retained the motor temp sensor and fitted a powerful cooling fan using a cowling of my own design. Have fitted metal internals to the gearbox, wider belt and new city jets all round.

Dashboard features voltmeter, motor temperature, and switches for lights and cooling fan. Switches for indicators (LED ones) and horn are on RH side edge of seat.

I have 2 power switches on the handlebars, one on the left, one on the right. Pressing the LH one engages both batteries in parallel (12v mode). If you keep this pressed and press the RH one at the same time, I have configured 3 relays which switch to 24V mode - now we're talking.

When I get round to it I'll post some photo's. Am planning to commute to work (11 miles each way), but probably save that until next year for more favourable conditions.

Any way, enough from me, are there any C5 owners in the vicinity, I'm in the King's Lynn area of Norfolk?

posted on: 20/10/2013 18:10:05

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there welcome to the site And well done with the mods ...Photos would be great ..
Bye Chas
posted on: 20/10/2013 18:40:53

Dan posted:

Hi there Keith and Welcome to the website!

That's a very interesting way of implementing 24v on a c5.  Sounds like you've customised it a lot, I'm a huge fan of c5 customisations so I eagerly await your pics

Its always interesting to hear how people got into c5's in the first place. It seems to be either from having seen one somewhere (car show etc) or from growing up with other sinclair products (spectrum in my case)

Anyway if you need any help/info on anything feel free to post away
posted on: 20/10/2013 18:47:50

rekooh99 posted:

Sounds great fun upgrading the brakes is no doubt a priority!
posted on: 21/10/2013 12:32:42

kamztrad posted:

Hi there and thanks for the warm welcome, will prob post some pics on wed when I'm off, uprated brakes are definitely a big priority - I have fitted a steel front wheel which is a big improvement but I have ordered a disc brake and calliper for the front - the mount should screw onto the wheel and then bolt the disc onto the mount.

My question is, do you think I will be able to fix the calliper to the fork using a bracket to mount it on, or is welding a calliper mount onto the fork the way to go?? What have other c5 owners done?
posted on: 21/10/2013 18:50:30

kamztrad posted:

Just realised should have put this under help wanted, doh !!
posted on: 21/10/2013 18:53:30

rekooh99 posted:

Keith have a look at Pep s restoration on c5alive he s put discs front and back, some good pictures.
posted on: 22/10/2013 07:12:05

Dan posted:

Chas did one on the front wheel here:

http://www.c5owners.com/sinclair-c5-forum/topic/129/front-disc-brake
posted on: 22/10/2013 07:17:58

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi I am also making a kit for the back wheel ..I spoke to Pep at Brooklands and asked him if I could make a copy of his design but make it in kit form and he said yes and has helped me with a few templates and info .So at the moment after 5 proto types I have finaly made one that will work ..And will be making some to sell very soon ...All thanks to Pep .....
posted on: 22/10/2013 08:47:16

dave posted:

Chas are you planning on doing one fot the front wheel ?
posted on: 22/10/2013 09:00:43

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Dave not sure yet but I will keep you informed ....Bye Chas
posted on: 22/10/2013 09:18:34

Dan posted:

[quote=SINCLAIR C5 CHAS;1487]Hi I am also making a kit for the back wheel ..I spoke to Pep at Brooklands and asked him if I could make a copy of his design but make it in kit form and he said yes and has helped me with a few templates and info .So at the moment after 5 proto types I have finaly made one that will work ..And will be making some to sell very soon ...All thanks to Pep .....[/quote]

Nice one Chas  Put me down for 2 sets when you've made some...
posted on: 22/10/2013 16:58:29

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Ok the first two are yours bye Chas
posted on: 22/10/2013 17:02:19

C5mick posted:

Hi Chas
Nice to have some pics and more info on the braking kit, maybe interested In purchasing one from you when done.
Mick
posted on: 22/10/2013 20:44:29

dave posted:

Is this the same setup as pep on the other site ? Can't seem to get on there ? Have you got a price in mind chaz ?
posted on: 22/10/2013 22:16:36

kamztrad posted:

Hi there, took some pics of my C5 today, can anyone tell me how to put them on here pls.

posted on: 23/10/2013 10:57:44

kamztrad posted:

Hi there, took some pics of my C5 today, feast your eyes lol!!

posted on: 23/10/2013 10:59:13

kamztrad posted:

Couple more pics!

posted on: 23/10/2013 11:04:16

dave posted:

Nice photos kam that's a lot of wiring in there
posted on: 23/10/2013 11:42:52

Area51 posted:

very nice set up well impressed
posted on: 23/10/2013 17:22:46

Dan posted:

You've obviously spent a lot of time customising your C5, very impressive
posted on: 23/10/2013 18:30:43

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi it looks great well beyond me well done
Bye Chas
posted on: 23/10/2013 18:38:55

Dan posted:

Forgot to ask if you'd mind if I used some of your pictures on the gallery page?
posted on: 24/10/2013 17:32:49

kamztrad posted:

You are more than welcome to use any of my pics, please feel free,
Cheers
posted on: 24/10/2013 20:15:44

kamztrad posted:

Forgot to mention I had a couple of longer runs out in my C5 yesterday and today, 10 miles yesterday and 11 miles today - I have so far covered 23 miles since freshly charging my 2 x 75ah leisure batteries, and still have plenty of life left. Used my Garmin forerunner to monitor speed etc. and have averaged a respectable 14.5 mph.

I am finding that in 3rd gear on the sturmey hub I am matching the speed of around 14 mph on 12v power with a comfortable amount of pedalling - if however I want a boost and press the second power button to engage 24v mode (which strictly isn't legal) there is no way I can pedal fast enough to assist the motor at 25+ mph - great fun though!

The 24v option provides plenty of power on the flat and even gives 15 to 20 mph up most of the hills around here (not that hilly really). My cooling fan seems to be able to keep the motor down to around about 65 C maximum which I hope is cool enough, even with prolonged use of 24v mode.

The brakes are adequate as long as you have plenty of notice of when you need to stop, eagerly keeping an eye out for news of the Chas rear brake kit.

Does anyone else find the seat really uncomfortable on a long run, I have an original Sinclair foam seat liner, but I fear that having lost over 3 stone in the last year, I have also lost some of my inbuilt cushioning!! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how to make the seat more comfortable (don't really want to put 3 stone back on again before someone suggests this). Any solution would be most welcome,
Cheers
posted on: 24/10/2013 20:38:40

Dan posted:

Sounds fun with 24v, I'd love to have 12v & 24v in one, just to use the 24v when no-ones looking

I think the maximum temperature the motor can get is 70°C if using a 12v C5 with a pod before the pod cuts out, so with yours at 65°C your just within before the motor starts to melt

As for the seat being uncomfortable, I can also say that this is quite true I recently got hold of a seat pad but even then, on long rides, you do need to stop now and again and have a stretch/brake from it
posted on: 24/10/2013 21:10:57

Dan posted:

[quote=kamztrad;1522]You are more than welcome to use any of my pics, please feel free,
Cheers[/quote]

Thanks for that, they've been added
posted on: 25/10/2013 17:39:02