Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

derek.maguire.100 posted:

Hi, from Wiltshire.....our c5 is back together again but minus a key for the ignition.....I am reluctant to start just replacing switches without further information as the electrics side of all this is a bit beyond me. Any suggestions?[albumimg]1[/albumimg]
posted on: 25/04/2013 15:50:23

dave posted:

;Hi mate theres: a, kit on ebay easy: to fit:;; got 1 one of.mine;:
posted on: 25/04/2013 17:51:18

thanks .....is it this?

SINCLAIR C5 SAFETY POWER WIRING SET UP C 5...if not can you give me a link or somesuch.? thanks for your interest.........ddddddddd
posted on: 25/04/2013 18:22:34

dave posted:

That's it and the bloke that makes them is on here c5 chas
posted on: 25/04/2013 18:33:56

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I am the one that is selling the cables on ebay ... If you are interested get back to me ...
Bye Chas
posted on: 25/04/2013 18:41:26

cheers, progress at last, will order from ebay, thanks for your help. ddddddd
posted on: 26/04/2013 09:32:26

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there just posted it thanks .Will send photos on how to connect if you want them ..

Bye Chas
posted on: 26/04/2013 12:06:01

Dan posted:

keep getting censered on the text

Sorry about that Chas, have disabled the whole censoring thing on this forum now.
posted on: 26/04/2013 14:27:54

oh yes please.. I am needing the photos....thanks.........dddddddddd
posted on: 27/04/2013 09:02:03

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there here are some photos .

The switch bracket holds two switchers one for the cables and the original for the lights ..

And if you look close you will see a tie wrap around the relay to keep it fixed in place ..(dont forget the couple up the small green and yellow wire to the board as in the photo ..
Bye Chas

posted on: 27/04/2013 11:05:15

Marvellous ,under 24 hour delivery....thanks and thanks for the pics.....maybe its not beyond me after all........dddddd
posted on: 27/04/2013 19:28:52

Dan posted:

Hi Chas,

I think I'll take one of your wiring kits too via ebay. I like the fact you keep a separate light switch as well as a power switch.

Do you have permanent links to the C5 stuff you sell, either on Ebay or c5alive? It'd be great to be able to link to your stuff from the shop page on this site I link to some ebay stuff at the moment but ebay links can change.

Thanks,

Dan
posted on: 27/04/2013 20:04:11

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Dan thanks for buying the cables ...Regarding a link I do have a list of items for sale on C5alive under The Chas section ..Karl lets me use the site to advertise some items .But I do not list anything that he sells ...

I have in the past listed items on ebay and put a link in to the C5 alive but it was taken off and I received a warning due to the site having items for sale
But regarding A link to the shop page that would be great ...
I also sell items cheaper than on Ebay ...
Dan just let me know how to do it ...
Bye Chas
posted on: 28/04/2013 07:06:14

Dan posted:

Hi Chas,

I have in the past listed items on ebay and put a link in to the C5 alive but it was taken off and I received a warning due to the site having items for sale

Ah okay, I didn't know there were any limitations on what you could sell on c5alive.

From my point of view, listing your product info. on this site and providing a link for the website visitor to click to email you directly is the best way for me as it avoids possible broken links. You can then agree the price directly (via email) with the buyer and the shop has more cool C5 stuff in it.

I've done an example page in the shop for your wiring kit:

http://www.c5owners.com/sinclair-c5-shop

If the above format suits you I will do the same for your other Ebay items if it's okay for me to use your Ebay image/description text? And also if you PM me your email address that you want enquiries to go to?

I want to get as much stuff in our shop and you have a lot of great items for sale

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 28/04/2013 17:25:09

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there regarding C5 alive site I believe there are no limitations on what you can sell .But Karl gave me permission to advertise my items for sale on the site .So He created The Chas section for me .So I would not be right to put items on the site that Karl has for sale in the Shop ..I will get back to you later bye for now and thanks Chas
posted on: 28/04/2013 19:31:58

hi, progress at last. As you can see I have wired up the kit but am in a quandary regarding your instruction to do something with a y/g wire. (which i do not have) Can I just use the existing thin brown wire from x5 to x3.?

[albumimg]3[/albumimg]
posted on: 11/05/2013 17:04:25

Dan posted:

As you can see I have wired up the kit but am in a quandary regarding your instruction to do something with a y/g wire. (which i do not have)

I've used one of these wiring kits by Chas before and the extra wire should be included.

Can I just use the existing thin brown wire from x5 to x3.?

This wire (which should be connected to the keyswitch unit) is not needed with the wiring kit, you could cut it and make a connection between X3 and X5.
posted on: 11/05/2013 17:32:37

dave posted:

Just email chas he sent me 1 when I got 1 he forgot to put it in
posted on: 11/05/2013 17:56:57

thanks, mystery solved, used the existing brown wire and diverted it....next ...the internal bits. thanks for your collective help and encouragement.hope to be on the "road" for The Vintage Nostalgia Show , Stockton for the Bank Holiday.
posted on: 11/05/2013 18:29:10

Dan posted:

thanks for your collective help

You're welcome

hope to be on the "road" for The Vintage Nostalgia Show , Stockton

You'll have to post some pics of the event when you go
posted on: 12/05/2013 10:39:06

Hi..at last all back together. ...just charging battery and a test drive beckons....thanks for your help along the way.........dddddd
posted on: 18/05/2013 19:49:38

all wired up ......battery connected...... NO POD LIGHTS and no power !!.....I am guessing that I have a motor problem but not sure what to do next? The lights work though
posted on: 20/05/2013 12:23:25

direct feed to motor and thats working ,,,,horn and lights work, newly fitted "on" switch live but no response from motor or pod lights
posted on: 20/05/2013 14:10:52

this is going to seem really stupid...how should I start....do I just switch on and pedal or am i missing something?

on either side of handlebars there is a small red thumbswitch under the hand grips. the r/h "peeps" when pressed and the left is silent.....whats that all about?
posted on: 20/05/2013 15:28:57

Dan posted:

Hi there Derek,

this is going to seem really stupid...how should I start....do I just switch on and pedal or am i missing something?

It should be just a case of switching on and the POD will light up. Then pressing the switch on the left side of the handlebar and the motor will fire up.

on either side of handlebars there is a small red thumbswitch under the hand grips. the r/h "peeps" when pressed and the left is silent.....whats that all about?

The left one is for the motor, the right one will be the horn. So if the horn is working then the Control Box is receiving power okay, but the POD isn't...

Are you able to remove the POD and open it up and see if there are any broken solder joints on the main connector pins? If you have a multi-meter it would really help to track down why the POD isn't receiving any power.

There may also be a problem in the control box, the regulator, possibly a fuse may have blown. Are you able to check the fuses? Again, a multimeter would help here.

If you want you can pop the POD in the post to me and I'll test it here on a working C5 to see if the fault lies in the POD?

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 20/05/2013 16:47:26

I`ve checked the two fuses in the control box. Next spare day I get I`ll have a look at the pod removal. My multimeter skills are not great beyond testing for life in a battery but I`ll give it a go....I may then take you up on your kind offer.
posted on: 20/05/2013 18:03:30

Dan posted:

If you could test the POD pins to ensure they're receiving +12V & +5V from the control box, that would be the best start.

I may then take you up on your kind offer.

No worries, if you're not sure whether its the POD or control box feel free to send them both, I'll be able to test both.
posted on: 20/05/2013 20:45:12

Hi, still no further forward really on the electrics but we have taken the c5 to some shows , Stockton Extravaganza, Rainscombe House Festival of Transport where it has been both the subject of serious motoring history and incredulous amusement. . I still havn`t seen another c5 on a field so that pleasure is yet to come. This Sunday (7th)we are taking it to ........
Castle Cary Cavalcade of Transport in Somerset.
I`ve Put a couple of pics in the albums section.

posted on: 05/07/2013 19:46:34

Dan posted:

Hi, still no further forward really on the electrics but we have taken the c5 to some shows , Stockton Extravaganza, Rainscombe House Festival of Transport where it has been both the subject of serious motoring history and incredulous amusement. . I still havn`t seen another c5 on a field so that pleasure is yet to come. This Sunday (7th)we are taking it to ........
Castle Cary Cavalcade of Transport in Somerset.
I`ve Put a couple of pics in the albums section.

Nice! You're C5 is getting about

Keep at it with trying to fix the electrics... Most C5's can are fixable

Would you mind one of your pictures being used on the main gallery page?
posted on: 06/07/2013 06:21:03

Please use any pictures you wish. I`ll keep sending to my album anyway just for the record Ours is in transport mode ready for Castle Cary tomorrow.I love seeing the pics and vids on the web of Sinclairs zooming about.

when I try and access the gallery i meet a page which tells me of a dangerous message path and gives me no further access .this happens on a few of your links............dddddd
posted on: 06/07/2013 19:28:00

Dan posted:

Please use any pictures you wish. I`ll keep sending to my album anyway just for the record Ours is in transport mode ready for Castle Cary tomorrow.I love seeing the pics and vids on the web of Sinclairs zooming about.

Cool, thanks will get one added!

when I try and access the gallery i meet a page which tells me of a dangerous message path and gives me no further access .this happens on a few of your links............dddddd

Sorry I think there was a problem with your account, should be fixed now...
posted on: 07/07/2013 19:14:06

Thanks for fixing my access problems and for including our c5 on the gallery.

A friend with electronic skills has offered to run a meter over the various components. Are there any wiring diagrams available for the pod? I`ll get this thing running one day. We are planning to attend Gilcombe Fest.of Transport 10/11th August at the Haynes Motor Museum and would like to invite forum readers to come and visit.

enjoy the sun while it lasts.dddddddddd

http://www.gilcombe-festival-of-transport.com/
posted on: 14/07/2013 20:06:14

dave posted:

Just get a touch
posted on: 14/07/2013 20:57:57

Dan posted:

Thanks for fixing my access problems and for including our c5 on the gallery.

A friend with electronic skills has offered to run a meter over the various components. Are there any wiring diagrams available for the pod? I`ll get this thing running one day. We are planning to attend Gilcombe Fest.of Transport 10/11th August at the Haynes Motor Museum and would like to invite forum readers to come and visit.

enjoy the sun while it lasts.dddddddddd

http://www.gilcombe-festival-of-transport.com/

I'll add the event at Haynes Motor Museum to the events page for you

I don't think there is a wiring diagram for the POD or control box, there is some detailed technical information about the POD here but apart from that

From what I've found out, the POD connector pins are wired as follows:

1 +5V
-
2 +12V
3 Switch (+12V)
4 GND
5 Base
6 Relay
7 Emitter
8 Temp
9 +5V

You could test (with the multimeter) to ensure the +5V pins are getting the correct voltage. If not then the fault will likely be in the control box, or it could be loose/dirty connector pins either in the POD or control box.
posted on: 15/07/2013 07:35:36

Hi, had the pod out and found a very corroded unit under the pin connector. my man replaced this but still no power lights on pod...and no motor power..its beyond me so if you could message me with an address i`ll have the pod in the post as you suggested. This is very frustrating.
thanks for your support......dddddddddd

posted on: 22/07/2013 16:42:59

Thanks wrapped and ready, Took it for a pedal around Devizes marketplace today , was spotted and got a mention on local radio.
posted on: 22/07/2013 21:07:28

Dan posted:

Thanks wrapped and ready, Took it for a pedal around Devizes marketplace today , was spotted and got a mention on local radio.

Cool yeah wait until you get the motor working, that'll grab peoples attention
posted on: 23/07/2013 17:41:33

posting the pod proved interesting at the post office with their new banned post list. Wanted me to explain what it was.......I just said "broken" so it was classified as a digital camera with no battery ....I didn`t have the heart to argue. dddddddddddd
posted on: 23/07/2013 18:08:34

Dan posted:

posting the pod proved interesting at the post office with their new banned post list. Wanted me to explain what it was.......I just said "broken" so it was classified as a digital camera with no battery ....I didn`t have the heart to argue. dddddddddddd

funny looking camera.

I got your pod today and connected it to a working c5 and you'll be glad to here it all seems fine, pressing the handlebar switch activated the motor so as far as I can see the pod is working fine:

I'll get it returned to you in tonight's post if I can. Can you PM me your address so I can return it?

So the problem must be in your control box. Have you managed to check the regulator in the CB? You'll need to take the whole front cover off, are you able to check the voltages on the 3 legs? You should have 12Vish, GND and 5V. The 5V is important as that is what the POD needs to work. You could also check R1 next to the heatsink.

This is where to find the regulator on the CB PCB:

posted on: 25/07/2013 12:20:15

Excellent news , POD`s all good so back to the control box. thanks for the pix.(and the POD test) its taking all those cables off that bothers me....onward and upward..........
[albumimg]13[/albumimg]
posted on: 27/07/2013 06:53:19

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi it looks like the shuttle is ready for take off ....
posted on: 27/07/2013 20:58:47

Dan posted:

Excellent news , POD`s all good so back to the control box. thanks for the pix.(and the POD test) its taking all those cables off that bothers me....onward and upward..........

If you have difficulty repairing the control box you can send it to me for repairs or I can do a part ex for a working CB.
posted on: 31/07/2013 06:16:38

at last....withe the fantastic help from Dan and other members,Our C5 is back together again. Control box replaced, all nice and shiny, ready for testing,just charge the battery and wait for a dry afternoon !!!!
posted on: 18/08/2013 18:45:21

Dan posted:

[quote=derek.maguire.100;935]at last....withe the fantastic help from Dan and other members,Our C5 is back together again. Control box replaced, all nice and shiny, ready for testing,just charge the battery and wait for a dry afternoon !!!![/quote]

Awesome, you're welcome.  Have you managed to power it on for a quick test?
posted on: 18/08/2013 20:49:12

Hi, All back together, battery installed and victory , mobility at last. An actual trip up and down the village .and a twirl round the pub carpark much to the consternation of the pub dogs. Its chain slips(a lot)
when starting on up gradients which would be very embarrassing in public I shall search for reasons for this ...thanks for your collective assistance
[albumimg]14[/albumimg]
posted on: 23/08/2013 14:40:56

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I think the chain slip is due to the chain be to long .The reason could be that it is old and streched or the chain is to long .Do you have a chain tensioner fitted ..
posted on: 23/08/2013 15:05:23

It has a chain tensioner . I`ll check its efficiency and go from there. At least it all basically works now.
posted on: 23/08/2013 16:57:11

Dan posted:

[quote=derek.maguire.100;954]It has a chain tensioner . I`ll check its efficiency and go from there. At least it all basically works now.
[/quote]

Aye yep looks like its working I've had so many problems with the chain coming off the tensioner I ended up getting one of chas's, though I'm sure he'll agree they're tricky to fit
posted on: 23/08/2013 19:09:49

Hi, chain is only slipping on hills.......chain tensioner looks adequete and has tension The chain already has a split link so removing a link shouldn`t be a problem.
Recommendations for the best course of action please?
posted on: 07/09/2013 16:12:17

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi you may find that removing 1 link you may not be able to reconnect it back together ,before you take a link out put the chain over the cogs without the tensioner in the way and see if it will come together if the link was taken out .. Chas
posted on: 07/09/2013 17:59:04

thanks, I`ll give it a try (when it stops raining)
posted on: 07/09/2013 18:04:49