Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

tors2704 posted:

Hello,

I'm considering selling my C5 and am wanting to find out some information on how early in the production run it may have been. The serial number is V100050201189.

I am not an expert by any means but assume that, the earlier the model/lower the serial number, the more it may be worth. Would this be considered to be an early model?

I'm attempting to put a picture of it on here if this helps.

Any information is appreciated, including what you think it may be worth with all of the boxed accessories (has not been tested - been in storage for about 18 years but is in good cosmetic condition and worked perfectly when entering storage).

Thanks,
tors2704
posted on: 04/08/2013 15:56:20

Dan posted:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

To answer your main question about the serial number, V100050201189.

This is how you break it down: V1000 5 02 01189
The 5 indicates the year 1985
The following 2 digits are the month, February
And the final 5 digits indicate the number produced that month, so yours is the 1189th to come off the production line in Feb 1985.

The earliest I've seen is from Dec 1984.  I wouldn't consider it to be a very early model, but it is reasonably early as it has the Grey boot rather than the later White ones.

A similar working one with boxed indicators, mirrors, horn, mud flaps, side panels, original documentation recently sold on ebay for about £500 in Hampshire.  Can you list what accessories you have? I can see indicators, mirrors, horn?

Location also affects the value, as C5s need to be collected in person.
posted on: 04/08/2013 16:37:07

tors2704 posted:

Thanks so much for this. Accessories are indicators, wing mirrors, boot and boot key, tools, horn, all wheel trims, and battery charger (am not sure what the item with a keyhole nearest to the front of the photo is - if you know, please let me know!). There are 2 sets of indicators but only one box (unsure whether there is a box missing or you just get both sets in one box). We never set up the accessories when my dad bought the Sinclair so they're pretty untouched. As I said, I'm debating selling it but, even if I decide to keep it, it'll be great to know a rough value for insurance purposes.

It's at my parents house at the mo and I've sent mum on a mission to look through the paperwork to see what's in there. Location: at present, West Wales, but can be taken to the Midlands if that makes it more likely to sell.

Thanks again
posted on: 04/08/2013 17:03:58

Dan posted:

[quote=tors2704;853]Thanks so much for this. Accessories are indicators, wing mirrors, boot and boot key, tools, horn, all wheel trims, and battery charger (am not sure what the item with a keyhole nearest to the front of the photo is - if you know, please let me know!).[/quote]

You're very welcome

The item with the keyhole is the key switch for starting the C5 up and should be connected to the thick Blue/Brown wires which should be in the left footwell, I'm a bit suprised that it has become detached from these wires for some reason

[quote=tors2704;853]Location: at present, West Wales, but can be taken to the Midlands if that makes it more likely to sell.[/quote]

Yep you'd get more interest if you advertised it as available from the Midlands
posted on: 04/08/2013 18:41:54

tors2704 posted:

Thanks again - I'm not sure why the wires have been disconnected - probably my dad's idea!

I'll move it across to the Midlands if I decide to sell.

The pack of paperwork I had was things like fitting instructions for the mirrors, replacement parts guide and list/price guide, C5 tips and a guide to safe driving in the C5.

Out of curiosity, if anyone is interested, I'm open to being approached with offers to make my decision easier

Vicki
posted on: 04/08/2013 19:03:52

Dan posted:

I'm sure you'll get some offers.  I've posted it on our Twitter feed to help you along I would make an offer myself but it's a bit too far for me.

Good luck if you do decide to sell, it's one clean, nice looking C5
posted on: 04/08/2013 19:21:20

tors2704 posted:

Many thanks
posted on: 04/08/2013 19:54:32

dave posted:

Give him an offer dan I'll store it for you
posted on: 05/08/2013 19:48:06

dave posted:

If I was you id keep the little gold mine you have there wish it was mine if you sell split in up get more money that way
posted on: 05/08/2013 19:55:30

tors2704 posted:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the tip. I've just sold it though but am happy with what I got for it. It's difficult to hang onto as my folks are moving and storage would've been a problem.

If rather someone got enjoyment out of it than it just sit there gathering dust

Cheers
Vicki
posted on: 05/08/2013 20:09:42

dave posted:

Can I ask who got them ?
posted on: 05/08/2013 20:27:08