Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

If you have any questions about the LCD Touchscreen described here then add them here and I will try to answer them.

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 27/02/2013 08:34:02

Dan posted:

Here's some pictures of the display:

[img=http://www.c5owners.com/documents/images/sinclair-c5/touchscreen/large/C5_Touch_10.jpg]C5 Display[/img]

And finally, here's a video of the unit being tested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bke5lkLrb-c

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 27/02/2013 21:29:51

Dan posted:

I've done some changes to the software and added more error checks for motor temp, motor load and battery voltage. There is a new motor icon at the top, to the left of the battery voltage icon:

The motor will now be disabled if the motor temp exceeds 70°C. The motor icon will change to the error icon (With the help of a heat gun):

As the handlebar switch is pressed the motor load is displayed both under the motor icon and also as an amp reading below. If the load exceeds 120amp for a period of time the motor will be disabled:

The C5 hooked up to the laptop, whilst I upload the updated software:

posted on: 10/03/2013 16:56:52

mobo posted:

Hi Dan,

I've been reading this with interest and think what you've done is great.

I have a C5 with a pod that works but I'm thinking of implementing your touchscreen solution. The one thing I'm not sure about is the software, do I need to have a set of indicators for it to work?

I know how to implement the rear circuit board and the arduino/lcd isn't a problem, its just software I have no experience with.

I think the features you've got so far are great and it looks like a suitably modern replacement for the pod. I like the idea of seeing the speed i'm going too, I know I could do this with a bike computer but having it all in one unit is what appeals most about your touchscreen solution.

Cheers
Brian
posted on: 12/03/2013 19:53:57

Dan posted:

I have a C5 with a pod that works but I'm thinking of implementing your touchscreen solution. The one thing I'm not sure about is the software, do I need to have a set of indicators for it to work?

It should work fine without the indicators, the two indicator lights on the display will remain off and the hazard button won't do anything.

I know I could do this with a bike computer but having it all in one unit is what appeals most about your touchscreen solution.

That was the main reason for me doing this. Previously I had a bunch of different units to show me battery voltage, motor temp, speed etc and just wanted to have 1 box that did it all.

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 20/03/2013 18:59:06

mobo posted:

Thanks Dan I'll have a go at starting it in the next week or so.

One other question: is there an alternative screen to use? I've seen some that will run on the uno board and have a touchscreen built in.
posted on: 24/03/2013 11:18:27

Doc Holliday posted:

Hi Dan and all C5 Drivers,
I just got my first C5 a few Days ago. It has got original tyres on it and looks like it din´t run a lot. But today the electric brooks down. Unfortunatly the former owner did some modifications but in a bad way and also crashed the Blackbox underneath. So I have to overhaul the complete electric and would even like to swap the POD to your Touchsreen-mod. But I´m mainly a mechanic-man - no great expirience in higher electrics only older car and motorbike electric. Is it possible to get someone who check the "blackbox"? Is it possible to just connect it to the new "Touchsreen" with the original wire harnesses? Is there a complete List off all items I need?

I´m also interestet get the accelerator throttle - selfmade or to buy somewhere?

sorry for my poor english and thanks anyway

Ralf from Germany
posted on: 12/05/2013 17:12:30

Dan posted:

Hi there Ralph,

Welcome to the C5 owners forum

Unfortunatly the former owner did some modifications but in a bad way and also crashed the Blackbox underneath.

Yeah it can be a problem sometimes when buying 2nd hand C5 and someone has changed the electronics badly.

Is it possible to get someone who check the "blackbox"? Is it possible to just connect it to the new "Touchsreen" with the original wire harnesses?

The Touch screen modification is completely different to the standard C5 electrics, and if you wanted to put it in your C5 you would have to remove all the current wiring, POD and control box and replace them.

Is there a complete List off all items I need?

I am at the moment in the process of getting the new touch screen control box circuit board professionally printed and will be documenting how to create the touch screen modification in detail over the coming weeks over at this thread:

/sinclair-c5-forum/topic/19/sinclair-c5-with-touchscreen-lcd-display-part-2

I'll also be putting together a complete list of components needed

Its much simpler than my original prototype which is what this thread deals with.

If you do want to do this modification, myself and other members will be happy to help.

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 12/05/2013 17:35:53

Doc Holliday posted:

Hi Dan,
Thanks a lot for the quick response
so it looks like that I have to use my C5 on pedalpower only for the next time
I think maybe just to get a switch and conected to the motor relais (I allready checked the motor and relais - they are working) just to get warpspeed when needed - without overheating the engine / it`s mostly very flat here - and wait till I can get The Info´s / Materials that I need to get my C5 in an usefull state. I allready heard some comments from some peoples here about "The Sinclair" but I love it and keep going on, . . .
Unfortunenatly theres no scene for the C5 in Germany - maybe because theres no legal riding with it - law´s -
but it´s possible to convert it if needed and I love it anyway [wub]

so go on an live long and prosper

Thanks a lot
Ralf
posted on: 12/05/2013 18:27:12

Dan posted:

Hi Ralf,

I think maybe just to get a switch and conected to the motor relais (I allready checked the motor and relais - they are working) just to get warpspeed BigGrin when needed - without overheating the engine / it`s mostly very flat here

I had my C5 running directly from a relay for a while and it worked great, but like you said, you have to be mindful of the motor overheating
posted on: 13/05/2013 07:36:35