Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dirk-Jan posted:

Hello,

As my C5 got blowup with heavy fireworks im looking for the best way to fix it.
In the front ive a few cracks but at the bottom(between cranks and battery) ive 2 big holes.

What is the best way to fix this?
posted on: 13/02/2015 17:03:03

Ray1 posted:

Photos would help people advise, alternately bare C5 bodies are offered for sale here in the UK.
posted on: 13/02/2015 17:19:37

Dirk-Jan posted:

bare bodies are rare overhere in the netherlands.

posted on: 13/02/2015 19:19:34

C5mick posted:

Have you been under heavy attack ?
posted on: 14/02/2015 12:06:10

Dirk-Jan posted:

i dont know what they trown on it as there was no paper left from it.... But it sounded like an cobra6 or heavier.
posted on: 14/02/2015 14:47:35

Karl posted:

Hi Dirk,

looks like you've just come back from East Ukraine.

The only thing I can suggest is to obtain some polypropylene plates the same thickness as the material in the damaged area, and welding sticks. Cut off and square the damaged area, insert a replacement plate and weld it in. The material can be bent using a rod, for the curvature, and heat. The only problem is the heat, you need a special heat gun and fine nozzle to weld, I don't think a common heat gun would provide enough localised heat.

Trying to glue anything into place will be fruitless, I know of no glue that works successfully together with polypropylene. The split can only be welded, any other material would be rejected by the original material. Or has someone used other methods successfully?

Pity I scrapped a body a couple of months ago, I could have supplied a section to weld in. Does no one have a rough body whereby they could cut a section out for Dirk. It would be a lot cheaper that sending a complete body from the UK.
posted on: 14/02/2015 16:10:26

Dirk-Jan posted:

I was thinking about epoxy on glasfibre mats but i dont know if that will stick!
posted on: 14/02/2015 19:50:55

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there regarding the large holes I have used in the past a thin alloy sheat (thin enough to shape it then pop rivit it .If it's not strong enough you could do the same underneath and rivet the two sections together .then you could spray it grey
Chas .
posted on: 14/02/2015 21:31:07

Dirk-Jan posted:

so epoxy wont work chas?
posted on: 14/02/2015 23:16:05

Karl posted:

Hi Dirk,

no, it will not bond.
posted on: 14/02/2015 23:32:43

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi nothing will stick to the body best go the alloy way bend it shape it rivit it
Chas \:d/ \:d/ :-({|= \:d/
posted on: 15/02/2015 08:14:05

Dirk-Jan posted:

what kinda material is it made of? epoxy will stick to almost everything :(

Also what does an bare body cost over in england? And what does it cost to ship to the netherlands?
posted on: 16/02/2015 14:54:55

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi the body is made from polypropylene and nothing will stick to it but it can be welded with the right material .
Regarding shipping a body I will try and find out
Bye Chas
posted on: 16/02/2015 15:10:58

Karl posted:

Hi Dirk,

I still think the solution in post #2 is better than shipping a complete body. Send some photos of the damaged area so that it can be seen just what you would required for an insert. Welding is the best proposition, or even riveting a section in using ali. support plates. The volume of a complete body will drive the delivery cost sky high.

Could you not place an ad in Marktplaads for a body shell?
posted on: 16/02/2015 17:13:39

Dirk-Jan posted:

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXvMkpPiLmG4&ei=eSPiVOvNDMeTPJDMgcAC&usg=AFQjCNEtiOVyZnjNXtuRim6TTU4Y0Rpp7Q&sig2=leQsB0md80cs69V7jkr-Tg&bvm=bv.85970519,d.ZWU

So this wont work? Also i like a smooth surface instead of rivits karl :)

Regarding to shipping a body, i dont know what companies are overthere but in the netherlands a body is just within the limits.
posted on: 16/02/2015 17:16:51

Area51 posted:

You can't beat a smooth body lol
posted on: 16/02/2015 18:18:04

Karl posted:

Hi Dirk,

it's good to know that at last there's an adhesive for polypropylene, but not suitable in your case.

1) It's designed for repairing cracks, and not for filling. Can you produce such an exact joint on your damaged areas that you don't need filler? OK, you can use it to fix the split on the body, but not for the major repairs.
2) At approx. $75 for 3 small bottles, all 3 require, it would be cheaper to buy a C5 than trying to repair the whole body.

I can't help as far as transport costs from the UK are concerned. I paid £45 to have a C5 sent from NE England to Munich, but that was 10 years ago. Plus I was never able to find out the name of the company. I had a C5 delivered here in Germany by DHL for €35, but transport companies charge about €80 for the same delivery.

IIRC DHL operate in the UK, it may pay to check with them. The body could be wrapped in cloth, paper, or plastic, and taped instead of boxing it. I've had 3 delivered this way.
[albumimg]182[/albumimg]
posted on: 16/02/2015 19:47:57