Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

HappyWanderer posted:

Okay so I just got back today from picking up my new (ish) C5 which was advertised on Gumtree. A few of you might have seen it as the gentleman said he received a lot of interest in it!!!

Ideally Im looking to restore the chassis as much as possible so that it is moveable again. The whole thing was gutted of its electrics for a school project about 20 years ago, as will be apparent if I can get the photos to upload! But the first thing to do will be to get this chassis mended as its been modified and is fairly bent on the right hand side. Quite why it has been modified in this way I have no idea but either way Im now looking for a pair of the original brackets as the current configuration isnt ideal and also a few other bits to get this thing back on the road again!

If anyone has any advice for me that would be great! I am on a budget but Im going to try to get this one running again one way or another :)

Josh

posted on: 13/04/2014 18:44:34

Dan posted:

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the website

That's quite a restoration project you have there. The (Red?) chassis has had a lot done to it.  I've no idea why the previous owners have done what they've done.  It's not one of the original prototypes is it?
posted on: 13/04/2014 19:58:13

HappyWanderer posted:

Yes its got me puzzled as well!! I think the best thing at the moment is to try and get the chassis back into shape. Im not sure what structural problems would occur having the axle mounted that way but I just hope mending it will not be beyond what I can do.
posted on: 13/04/2014 20:28:39

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there I have been restoring g C5s for years and sorry to say but it looks the worst one I have seen I think the best thing to do would be to look for another chassis .Regarding help I am always just a phone/ text away as I'm sure there are more that will help you but it does look pretty bad at the moment Bye Chas
Ps where do you live

posted on: 13/04/2014 21:05:50

HappyWanderer posted:

Hi Chas thanks for your advice, I'll look out for a new chassis! If the worse comes to worse, the body is in good condition so it should be of use to somebody. Im in Cambridge.
posted on: 13/04/2014 21:48:56