Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

The Uni-8 24V controller arrived today:

I should be able to make a start on this at the weekend.
posted on: 06/06/2013 19:18:54

dave posted:

Did you get the magna aswell its a good kit got 1 soon I'll be seein 24 v touch next project I'm thinking ?
posted on: 06/06/2013 19:34:34

Dan posted:

Did you get the magna aswell its a good kit got 1

What's the "magna"? You've probably already told me and I've forgotten

I was going to ask you actually, how do you connect this to the battery, are you using a 24V safety wiring kit or something? Or do you stick it straight on the battery.

soon I'll be seein 24 v touch next project I'm thinking ?

I'll need to get the board changed I think, not too sure yet, will see

I'm thinking about having a duel 12V/24V C5. Do you use normal brakes, or do you have one of Chas's disc brakes?
posted on: 06/06/2013 19:45:01

dave posted:

Direct from the battery mate don't forget to use a steel front wheel plastic ones melt at high speeds as for the brakes standard but when your at top speed you won't want to stop lol welcome to the world of 24 v magna is the handlebar twistgrip controller like a motor bike

12/24 v touch c5 now ya talking looking forward to that legal wen you want it to be standard brakes are fine on mine

What's with the red flag ?in the bottom right

I've not finished the touch yet and your on your next 1 ?lol at this rate your soon be doing a 10 kw c5
posted on: 06/06/2013 20:05:14

dave posted:

I've nothing on mine no lights work just for speed wen you need it in short bursts .tbh marra likes 250w he don't like going fast ?

You never said did you get the trottle (magna) and 4 pin plug to conect to the uni8 ? You never said really is plug and play and tighten the belt with a tiewrap to prevent belt slip info and pics on the other site mate ?

How have you got on playing with the uni 8 good fun ?
posted on: 06/06/2013 20:57:50

Guest posted:

I've nothing on mine no lights work just for speed wen you need it in short bursts .tbh marra likes 250w he don't like going fast ?

Not fast like you dave ... The speed demon. 45 mph is just the edge for me bud
The motor for the next project is 8kw , controller sorted just trying out the power for it
posted on: 09/06/2013 19:54:38

dave posted:

Hey marra send me 2x 36 batterys and controller and we can see how fast turnip can go ?

Wot u up to marra tell me you s--g lol and did you go to the unit ?

8kw you want a tesr pilot down the prom or m6 lol
posted on: 09/06/2013 20:53:42

dave posted:

look for something like this 160891877412 on ebay mate from the place you got the uni 8 from dan i no they are a bit dear ? but they are good
posted on: 11/06/2013 17:24:36

Dan posted:

Thanks for sending me the instructions for the Magura twist-grip throttle, I've been looking on the 4qd site:

These are the 4 items you can purchase on that page:

Standard Throttle
Matching plain grip
with 1.0m CONI lead
with RFK crimps GTH-303

Is the "Standard Throttle" all I need to buy? £42 or do I need "with 1.0m CONI lead" as well?
posted on: 17/06/2013 21:01:02

dave posted:

Get the lead as well I've a 4 pin latch pin on the end of mine plugs into the uni 8
posted on: 17/06/2013 21:11:01

Dan posted:

Here's the board layout for the 24V version, I've sent this off yesterday to be printed, so we'll see what happens in about 3-4 weeks time:

posted on: 27/06/2013 18:33:47

dave posted:

What's tr 7 for ?
posted on: 27/06/2013 18:40:48

Dan posted:

What's tr 7 for ?

Its a spare, for future use.

As there's a spare digital output pin on the arduino nano (unused on the previous board) I thought it may be useful to be able to control another set of lights or something, I'd have to modify the software of course but may be useful in the future.

For now it will just be left empty. I'll document what is used for what later on when I've got it all working
posted on: 27/06/2013 18:45:53

Dan posted:

Made a bit of progress with this C5 over the last couple of days, mainly getting all the wiring in place ready for when I get the boards back:

The uni-8 will eventually sit on top of the project box, I'm not 100% sure where I will put the current sensor, but it will probably end up in the main project box:

For indicators I've used a cheap set of indicators for the front, I may add rear indicators later on.

posted on: 06/07/2013 19:03:53

dave posted:

Have you tryed the uni. 8 on the road ?
posted on: 09/07/2013 13:08:13

Dan posted:

Have you tryed the uni. 8 on the road ?

I've had a quick blast in it, its great

Have been busy sorting the new board out, working out how everything will be connected. I've decided to have the uni-8 running independently to the control box board, that is to say the control box will not be able to enable/disable the uni.

The uni will work as normal and the control box will simply display relevant information to the driver (voltage, current etc) and if any error conditions arise such as low battery or overheated motor the screen will show these warnings but will not disable the uni.

Here are some shots of the board so far:

With the Nano and the RTC installed. No more wobbling RTC when you go over a bump.

3 connections to the battery are made, the board is powered by one of the batteries but takes a feed from both batteries to work out the voltage.

With the screen attached. The 7809 regulator with its heatsink drops the battery voltage down to 9V:

posted on: 10/07/2013 06:58:00

dave posted:

Looking good dan lot better than the first 1 no overhanging rtc

That's why you have been quiet I thought the board would be another 2 weeks how many have you had printed ? Love the 99 reading had that on my 12
posted on: 10/07/2013 10:05:15

Dan posted:

Looking good dan lot better than the first 1 no overhanging rtc

Yep improvements over the original board:

RTC sits firmly in its socket now, no overhanging.
Nano has plenty of space in front of it, so no more stacking it on double header sockets.
7809 Regulator is included
Holes for you to bolt the board down
And of course it can measure 24V!

That's why you have been quiet I thought the board would be another 2 weeks how many have you had printed ? Love the 99 reading had that on my 12

Well the boards turned up yesterday, for the last week or so I've been prepping the C5, sorting all the wiring etc.

I've had 10 printed, plenty for this project! And they can also be used in 12V C5's as well so I think I'll replace my older board with this one too. Makes the wiring neater etc.

Yeah the 99°C is the current temperature in Poole. Well actually, as you've found out yourself, its because the motor temp sensor isn't connected.
posted on: 10/07/2013 12:46:46

Dan posted:

Finally managed to get everything connected up at the back, current sensor, reed, indicators, lights etc:

Next up, the front end display and give the whole thing a good clean
posted on: 12/07/2013 19:03:29

dave posted:

Well done dan tidy good man hope ya not going on the road with it lol were did you put the cur sensor ? In the box. ?
posted on: 12/07/2013 20:43:03

Dan posted:

Well done dan tidy good man hope ya not going on the road with it lol were did you put the cur sensor ? In the box. ?

Nah I'm not going on the road with it, I drive it around our tiny garden in very small circles

The sensor is in the box, I was in a rush to get it done and couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

I need to get get rid of these red line tyres, they're terrible on a C5

Bit like yours Dave, I couldn't come to destroy another POD:

posted on: 13/07/2013 20:03:34

dave posted:

Lol garden lol take it on a flat road and go for it and have some fun hull is flat lol where I live
posted on: 13/07/2013 22:04:54

Dan posted:

Here is the software for the 12V/24V board and also the libraries for the touchscreen which need to be placed in your main Arduino install folder.

This has been built using Arduino V1.0.1 which, for compatibility. I'd advise you to use for uploading the program to the Arduino's.

For information on how to install/use Arduino visit the official site: www.arduino.cc
posted on: 17/07/2013 07:58:10