Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Charliesgarage posted:

Hi C5 fans!
I found this Saturday on the last day of a local estate sale. 50% off! I knew I had seen it before, Omni magazine?(penthouse for nerd boys). Or my own wasted youth of car and motorcycle magazines. I had to have it!
Body is rough, faded and all tires were flat. No battery or charger. But it came with keys..;) after scrubbing down the body. I replaced two tubes, lubed the chain, repositioned the tensioner and found the clips still in good shape. I went for its shakedown cruise. Wow! It rides nicer and felt lighter than most trikes I have ridden. The front brake was almost nonexistent, even though I had just adjusted it.(petrified pads?) but the rear brake was adequate as is.
So, now to see about the wiring... This is where I fail at projects. I saw a cluster of wire connectors near the chain tensioner underneath. They don't appear to have mates. I haven't perused the gallery yet to see if this is normal but, I promise to upload a few pics of my own today.
I am a 56 year old antique dealer with a hobby of artcars and bizarre vehicles so, this spoke to me on many levels.
Thanks for inviting me in!
Charlie

posted on: 12/11/2013 20:29:04

Dan posted:

Hi and welcome to the website!

It doesn't look like a C5, but thanks for sharing your new Trike/Bike
posted on: 13/11/2013 08:09:26

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi there Welcome to the site ..Any help needed just ask ..Bye Chas

Regarding the wires underneath there are only 2 that are used for the horn (if you have one and want to fit it ) the rest are not used but best left alone as they double back the the loom ...
posted on: 13/11/2013 08:10:47

Charliesgarage posted:

Sorry about the photo. I uploaded 3 separate ones and only the last one of my retro rocketbike loads!

posted on: 13/11/2013 23:24:16

kamztrad posted:

That's more like it Charlie, lookin' good !! Welcome to the website, always good to hear from fellow enthusiasts in far away places!!
posted on: 14/11/2013 00:11:02

Dan posted:

Excellent Charlie, a C5 in Oklahoma  Thanks for the pics.  Let us know if you need any help...
posted on: 14/11/2013 06:51:21

Charliesgarage posted:

I'm about to get started on the C5. First I thought I'd test it with a small auto battery. However the connectors are alien to me. The box with the key has two wires going to it and the other red connector is just weird. Which is positive?
Sincerely, Charlie
posted on: 21/01/2014 03:10:35

Dan posted:

[quote=Charliesgarage;2406]I'm about to get started on the C5. First I thought I'd test it with a small auto battery. However the connectors are alien to me. The box with the key has two wires going to it and the other red connector is just weird. Which is positive?
Sincerely, Charlie
[/quote]

Hi Charlie,

Sure, the Brown wire is the Positive, Blue negative.

The Red bit should be inside the grey outer housing.  Here is what they should look like:

posted on: 21/01/2014 07:11:37

Charliesgarage posted:

Thanks! It's been cold and snowy here so I just looked at it again. I have the 250W model. Am I correct in assuming that there is only one connector?(right hand in pic) And the original battery(I don't have) has a special cover or connector? As you see I'm missing the spring and the center plastic thingy. I'm thinking I need to just hot wire a battery in place for testing.
Thanks again,
Inept in Oklahoma
posted on: 03/02/2014 16:47:54

Dan posted:

Hi Charlie,

Yep the battery cover looks live this:

Sorry, that's right, there is only one connector.  You can hot wire it for testing, like I said Blue is negative and Brown is positive on the battery.  You may want to get one of Chas's safety wiring kits which will prevent damage in case of accidentally connecting the wrong way around and you can then do away with the connector all together and have a simple on/off switch.  Though I'm not sure if he ships to the US?
posted on: 03/02/2014 19:23:35

jeffremiller posted:

Hi Charlie:
I'm an American living in the UK these past few years and with the help of some on this forum, I shall be bringing home a C5 with me. Will also be in Oklahoma - OKC area. Perhaps over the course of the year we could meet up for a ride?
posted on: 25/02/2014 10:18:25

Charliesgarage posted:

Hi Jeff, I still haven't got my C5 running. I'm afraid of electrical things so, have been putting it off. I have tried to get a front wheel cover from England but so far none of the sellers want to ship to the US. I am an antique dealer with a booth in OKC at 23rd St Antique Mall. So, I'm there a couple of times a month.
posted on: 12/04/2014 23:53:52

jeffremiller posted:

Hey Charlie:
If you see anything you want in the next month or so, you can have it shipped to me. Granted, my stuff won't get to OKC till August due to sea shipping a container... but at least it will get there.
posted on: 13/04/2014 08:20:23

rekooh99 posted:

If you just want to get the c5 running and aren t bothered by keeping it original take off the pod and control box get one of chas' safety wiring kits and connect directly to the battery and motor. For myself I also fitted a digital temp gauge and voltage gauge both off ebay.Lights are wired to the battery via a switch.
posted on: 14/04/2014 10:45:19

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi Jeff, I still haven't got my C5 running. I'm afraid of electrical things so, have been putting it off. I have tried to get a front wheel cover from England but so far none of the sellers want to ship to the US. I am an antique dealer with a booth in OKC at 23rd St Antique Mall. So, I'm there a couple of times a month.

Hi there Charliesgarage if you want a front wheel cover I can sell you one and post it to you ...Bye Chas
posted on: 14/04/2014 19:39:26

jeffremiller posted:

Hi Charlie:
My C5 is now safely in my garage in OKC... Happy to help with yours and also looking to take a ride sometime.

How are you progressing?
posted on: 30/07/2014 11:57:53

Charliesgarage posted:

Hi Jeffrey, welcome home. So far I've done nothing but connect a battery and got nothing, no lights, noise or anything. I'm really inept in all things electrical. I have a friend that's pretty talented who has volunteered his time to help me out. You can call or text me direct at 918-230-9765
Charlie
posted on: 31/07/2014 02:41:36

BrianC5 posted:

Hi Charlie, I'm down in Arlington, Texas not far from you. Out of curiosity, how much did you end up paying for your C5 at the estate sale? Just trying to gauge what the prices are like outside if the UK.
posted on: 26/08/2015 21:25:20

Charliesgarage posted:

Hi again! I've been driving my C5 and wish to thank all of my friends here in c5 forum. C5 Chas, Dan and Especially Jeffremiller who adopted my project and installed a chas wiring kit and worked out the kinks. I installed a new AGM 35ah car battery and it tests really strong. Due to a back injury I haven't ventured far from home yet. I'd love to find a lightweight lithium battery. I've been curious about using a Honda inverter 1000w. They are amazingly quiet. For now I'm still working on finding a deal on a front wheel cover and rear center caps. ;)
posted on: 27/08/2015 04:42:57